Thursday, September 17, 2009

Danez and the Calypso Class

Soooooo, we studied Calypso in Afro-Panamanian Studies today as part of a new unit today… and we was getting it. Adam was on his two-step, Jair was doin the Jair, Dom was swagged out, Alida was getting the shoulders, and our guest professor Mr. Leslie was singing his butt off, which leads to this part of the story.

Rewind to this morning. I woke up thinking about starfish, weird, and then I got homesick for the first time since we’ve been here. And I was still homesick when I got on facebook and saw a pic of my mom my cousin posted… sad. Then I saw a picture of my Grandfather, who was a father to me, who pasted away Sep. 23 2008, so it’s about to be a year since he passed. I held back tears today. So I wrote a poem and posted it on my tumblr blog, danezsmif.tumblr.com, and then it was class time.

So we in class, learning, dancing, all up in that Afro-Caribbean culture, singing Calypso and Lamento, when we start singing “Daylight com and me wan go home” which in our English is “Daylight come and I wanna go home”… it was cool at first, but the longer we sang, the more I really wanted to go home, just to hug my mom and grandma and aunties and to visit my Grandfather’s grave and talk to him. I love Panama too much for words, but home is home. I started thinking about how I haven’t spent more than 2 weeks at home at one time since I’ve graduated from high school. I started crying and had to walk out of the room. Needless to say I had a interesting day, and I think that I’ll be getting it in the Calypso unit. In other news, my one man is in the editing stage and will show some time in the near-year future. And I shall continue to be gettingith it in Panama 24/siete. Peace and Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment